Wednesday 16 September 2009

Catch-thus far

So were 8 weeks into the Catch 22 experience, has it been what I expected? well yes and no. Yes, cause the level of intensity means that i've had to hit the ground running. Which means that i'm in my comfort zone-I do like a bit of pressure, although admittedly I do drop some balls from time to time. But I also like a bit of pleasure-which means I like idling. Not a good trait if you wanna work in a deadline tight environment I guess. And thats what's been surprising about catch, and not what I expected. They are quite unforgiving about deadlines, and I was told recently 'we'd rather that you drop on your face here, than at a placement'. Fair enough I guess.

I feel as though i've done pretty well so far, o'k, admittedly I could have tried harder on some occasions but if a placement is dependant upon effort and potential, I deserve it. My biggest aim was to learn how to write journalistically rather than academically, and I am definately doing this. I sort of get it now, Journalism is about communication, but it's more about how to effectively communicate, whatever it is you want to communicate, in a chatty informal style-almost like you are writing in a journal.

So 4 weeks left, we've done so much already and i've learnt a-lot. It's been a truly valuable experience-whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment